It is one thing to challenge yourself at the gym and to go regularly. It is another to feel like it is always a grind and the payoff is not worth the effort. If your workouts feel like this, you are going to find yourself weighing the pros and cons, when the decision to exercise should always be an easy one.
What are some signs your workouts may be a grind?
- you struggle to find the motivation to exercise.
- you dread every minute of physical activity.
- you do not look forward to doing the activity you have done earlier, since it is part of a routine.
In short, exercise should never feel like a grind. It always works, but it should not feel like you are endlessly toiling. If you feel like you are working that hard, it sounds like you are doing something wrong.
What helps is to take a moment to think about why you are exercising in the first place. Sure, you have your health on your mind. You may have even been compelled to begin exercising due to your circumstances. Type 2 diabetes and poor cardiovascular health are valid reasons to undergo any health intervention, regardless of your stage in life. But your reasons may not even have to do with this sort of problem. Perhaps you just want to lose weight or improve your fitness. There is nothing wrong with wanting to look leaner or be able to climb a few flights of stairs without needing a moment or two to catch your breath.
Remind yourself why you are exercising. Then, reconsider your approach to your workouts, or at the very least reexamine your mindset.
- if you struggle to find the motivation, it could be because you underestimate the merits of exercise.
- if you dread every minute maybe it is your choice of exercise. Find an exercise or routine you will enjoy; try something new.
- If you are working out five days a week, bringing it down a notch: it is vital to exercise wisely.
If the above does not make a significant difference, maybe you bought to take a brief break from exercise. Taking a two-week break could be helpful.
Lastly, know it is okay if exercising feels like a grind sometimes. If it is a recurring feeling, however, then there is a reason to take a moment to reflect and determine why you feel this way.