There are a lot of things that cause the skin to age, some of them we can not do anything about, but there are others that we can influence. The one thing we can not change is the natural aging process; when the skin starts to become thinner and drier, and it's our genes that mostly control these changes and when they occur. The natural aging process will see the face losing some the fullness, and we will get visible lines and wrinkles appearing on the face.
The ageing we can influence is the extrinsic aging and this is when the environment and our lifestyle choices can cause the skin to prematurely age. We can slow down the effects this type of aging has on our skin, by taking some preventive actions.
- Over-drying your skin – using strong cleansers on the skin strips essential moisture, causing dead skin to build up.
- Eye wrinkles – use eye creams to keep the eyes hydrated and nourished, which can help to prevent aging eye wrinkles.
- Healthy looking skin – regular facials, exfoliating and chemical peels will help to destroy dry, dead skin cells, allowing new glowing skin to replace it.
How well you care for your skin from an early age can make a great deal of difference in how wrinkles form on your face later on. We can not go back in time, however, there are some tips and techniques that will keep your complexion looking radiant and glowing and make you feel more youthful.
- Use sun screen – Exposure to the sun is the main cause of skin aging. Sun protection is the best way to prevent this, by using sunscreen every single day and not just when it's sunny.
- Do not smoke – Smoking causes damage to collagen and elastin, and when collagen in the face becomes less elastic, it allows the soft tissue features of the face to sag. Smoking increases cholesterol, preventing you from getting enough oxygen to your skin causing dullness, and it can also cause lines and wrinkles to form around the mouth.
- Exfoliate regularly – This will remove the dead skin cells from the surface of the skin and you can either exfoliate manually, using a facial scrub or at a cosmetic clinic or beauty salon with a chemical peel.
Exfoliating the skin using medical chemical peels, helps to increase the skin cell turnover, shedding dead skin cells and pushing newer ones to form. The peels penetrate into the dermis of the skin and stimulate the fibroblasts deep within the skin to produce new collagen and elastin. These results in improved skin texture and skin tone, giving your face a fresher, smoother and youthful appearance.
So while we can not stop time, happily there are things we can do to slow down the aging process and repair some of the damage already done.